About the Book
Harnessing the Power of Equine Assisted Counseling: Adding Animal Assisted Therapy to Your Practice breaks new ground in the counseling field. Edited by Dr. Kay Sudekum Trotter, who created some of the first empirical research proving the efficacy of Equine Assisted Counseling (EAC), the book brings together 28 counselors, psychologists and medical doctors from around the world to share their experiences in using EAC with clients.
The collaborative work is one of the first books written by counselors, for counselors, that adheres to strict clinical protocols while incorporating the powerful dynamic of a horse in a therapeutic setting. It provides counselors, graduate students and other mental health professionals with an introduction, theoretical rationale and appropriate clinical applications to incorporate EAC as an adjunct to their traditional talk therapy practice.
Each of the seven sections of the book focuses on a specific aspect of EAC within a mental health framework:
- Section One: Equine Assisted Interventions in Mental Health
Dr. Trotter provides a strong foundation for understanding the efficacy of animal therapies in general, and equine assisted interventions in particular.
- Section Two: Looking at Equine Assisted Counseling From the Horses’ Perspective
Pat Parelli, internationally respected as “The Horse Whisperer” and one of the premier horse trainers in the world, along with his wife Linda, share tips on working with equines.
- Section Three: Techniques that Address Trauma
- Section Four: Techniques That Explore Anxiety and Depression
- Section Five: Techniques That Speak to Atypical Behaviors
- Section Six: Techniques That Focus on Social Skills and Communication
- Section Seven: Techniques That Improve Self-esteem and Self-Worth
Harnessing the Power of Equine Assisted Counseling: Adding Animal Assisted Therapy to Your Practice
Edited by Dr. Kay Sudekum Trotter
Publication Date: December 13, 2011
Suggested List Price: $39.95
Format: Paperback, 328 pages